Saturday, August 11, 2007

Arrogant Prophecies - Day of the Leopard

Today's installment of the "Arrogant Prophecies" is so dark and awful, I can hardly bring myself to comment upon it other than to say that the unknown poet must have been one unhappy fellow.

In his own comment, he states that the image "The Day of the Leopard was lifted from the Book of Revulsions but he neglects to give chapter and verse as was his wont. One would think he must be referring to Revulsions 13:2. On the other hand, perhaps he got his images mixed up with Revulsions 17:3 -- this is an educated guess on my part, based on the fact that he elsewhere refers to "Madam in her Fat Car". In any case, even the casual reader must be struck by the it is rather ambivalent attitude he has towards the Book of the Holy Idaho.

I woke up this morning with a pain in my heart
and I thought to myself, "Is this how the end of the world starts?"

With rumours of wars in faraway places?
With lies, deceits and intelligence agencies kicking their traces?

With illusions planted in the minds of the people?
With abominations created in the holiest of temples?

With ancient, holy word perverted,
a generation, to terror, war and worse converted...?

These thoughts in my mind, which I'd rather not think,
are driving me crazy, completely insane and over the brink!

When the Name of the Age is "Antimony".
When the world is ruled by arrogance, ignorance and simony.

When the wings of angels lie enchained.
When the world's resources are insolently drained.

The Day of the Leopard will then come soon,
and all the world will dance to its terrible tune!

________________________________
The imaage, "Day of the Leopard" was taken from Revulsions, when brutality is unleashed with all the relentless rapacity of the Fenris. Remember the question in Yeats' "Second Coming" – "…and what rough beast is this which slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"

No comments: