Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Subtlety of Reality...

[I lurk around a bit over at the UCC Forum (you can see the link to the right under, "United Church of Idaho...") In fact, I sometimes post what might seem to some as incomprehensible ramblings of muddled mentality.

A couple of people over there responded to a story I told about a man and his dog with stories about loved ones who spoke of seeing people coming to meet them as they were sucking their final breaths. This was my reply]


It's surprising the number of people who can come with anecdotes of this order, ranging from dreams to the so-called out-of-body episodes some have reported.

This is mine: The last time I was to visit an aunt to whom I was very close, I had almost deliberately put off the date to November. The night she died in September, I saw her in a dream, she told me she was sorry, but she was soooo tired. My sister called me the next morning and told me she had died that night after a coma of some 10-12 hours. My first feeling was a recognition of how selfish I had been.

Besides their value to the one who experiences them, do they prove anything? No, I don't think so, at least not in the normal meaning of proof.

On the other hand, I think that they strongly indicate that Reality has a deepness and a subtlety we generally overlook in our daily lives and that we are connected to one another and all that lives in ways we barely begin to imagine when we speak of things like Heaven.

No comments: