Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Dozen Couplets in Disarray...

Today's post is an experiment.

It started, as I was walking home from the grocery store with the line, "I'm rarely at a loss for words, but I sure am now".

Later, I went for a bike ride in the woods and several more lines came as I spoke them. Observing what was going on, I saw that these were rhyming couplets in hexameter -- a form I not well acquainted with.

Soon, I had a dozen of these couplets and I tried to put them in an order that gave at least a semblance of meaning -- therefore the title, "A Dozen Couplets in Disarray".

My God, what can I say about the coming day,
"Turn back the clock or somehow make it go away?"
I'm rarely at a loss for words, but I sure am now,
it's not a calf we dance around, but a "Golden Sow"!

We worship greed and money, empowered arrogance,
blind beliefs and criminal negligence!
Our preachers preach of sin but know not of what they speak,
while our leaders lead but dare not tell us the goals they seek.

All who have heard are those who have an ear to hear.
The end of all tomorrows is drawing near.

Isaiah himself could not render in human tongue
the sorrowed anger of tears the Word's Bell has rung.
One might as well expect a leopard to lose its spots,
as expect such fools as we to admit our loss.

Instead, we say that we believe the obvious lie
that angels will come and take us to live in a home in the sky,
or that our chestnuts will be pulled from the fire by a hero.
In fact, the chances of that are less than minus zero!

It is not by fate or some Heavenly decree
that we madly march in lockstep to eternity.
We go down to sleep upon the bed we made ourselves,
to a restless night of nails in those homemade hells.

We have killed all our yesterdays and tomorrows
and the little time we have today is only borrowed!

No comments: