Thursday, July 26, 2007

Arrogant Prophecies -The Curse of Chocolate


I continue today with yet another selection from the "Arrogant Prophecies" [aka "RUST!"], composed by an unknown poet in the Third Galaxy.

It seems to me that the "Curse of Chocolate" is a turning point in this collection of rather strange poems composed with an odd meter of 4/6 foot couplets -- apparently, this "lonely freak" is shrieking about the evils he could see that was later to unfold which would reach their climax in the accession of Ronald Rexona as Supreme Hole of Arrogance.

Enough of my conjectures, straight from the Third Galaxy as recorded in the 21st Edition of the Absolute Truth, I give you.

The Curse of Chocolate

The little man of bread-and-jam
stood upon the Limfjord shore and in his hand
he held the hand of a child-of-dreams.

The sky was blue with love and with life, the grass was green.
Suddenly -- a scream was heard!
A hunk of metal -- blacker then the night -- was hurled!

A black cross split the sky in twain
and pain unreal unreeled into a little child's brain!

I felt , goddam helpless
as I stood there with her face pressed against my breast.

God, DAMN! It isn't right
to build death planes and paint them blacker than the night!
But all that I can do is sing
a strong song of proud and tender love. And sing
I must, without a stop or rest...

And thus began "RUST!" – as a mutter in my breath:

Demons of death -- your deeds they are dust!
Your wings are broken, your bodies are RUST !

Your wings are broken.
Your wings are broken.
Your wings are broken.
Your bodies are R U S T !
_______________________________
"The Curse of Chocolate" was first uttered EXACTLY as described above. It happened in northern Jutland, the summer of 1978. The "child of dreams" is my daughter, who was three years old at the time.

A Demon of Death in the form of an F 104, painted dull black and engineered to make a horrible sound of terror, flew so low over our heads that I could see the face of the idiot inside the cockpit.

My daughter practically crawled up my leg and into my arms. In a flash of vision, I saw peasants in villages all over the world with no recourse of defense except to curse the evil
Nasgul screaming over their heads.

In a moment of eternal time I spoke the words, "Demons of death, your deeds are dust...

No comments: