Saturday, July 08, 2006

Police of the World


By odd coincidence I discovered y’day that inspiration for “Hadji Girl” which a Marine Corporal wrote, likely came from a movie, Team America, Police of the World done by the people who do South Park.

I picked up the movie from a box full of discount DVDs and sat down to see a bit before I went to bed. Suddenly, it dawned on me that the dolls were saying something familiar -- the movie characters are dolls with the voices of the South Park kiddies – this is what caught my attentions:

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah

I paused the movie and went back to the links in y’day’s post, “Hadji Girl Revisited”. It turns out the lines are lifted right out of the movie. It would be a bit much to say the lines are the best part of the “song”, but they sure are the song’s hook. – a “hook” is that in a pop-song that “hooks” your ear.

This disturbed me in a way I haven’t quite got a handle on – and can’t explain the source of if you are not familiar with the South Park brand of satire. But I’ll try.

The movie opens in Paris, the Parisians look like Parisians and the terrorists, well, in the movie they are called “rugheads” when Team America comes flying in and kills them all along with a bit of collateral damage – they blow up the Eiffel Tower and the Musée du Louvre, and later, in Egypt, the pyramids and the Sphinx, with an “oops!” shrug of the shoulder. Haven’t seen more than the first part of the movie, so I shudder to think what other damage they manage in saving us from “terror”.

This is what disturbs me, as best as I can formulate it: the Marines in the video segment just don’t get it. The whole idea for the “Hadji Girl” text seems to me to be lifted from this movie and not just the “hook”.

Do they really see themselves as Team America, the World’s Police – does satire become reality in them? If so, what of the snark and satire I post here – and that of the bloggers I’ve learned so much from and who have, in some cases, really large readerships?

Is it worth anything then? I just don’t know. O, well, here is the entire text of Hadji Girl, read it, if you can get through it without choking, and judge for yourself.

I was out in the sands of Iraq
And we were under attack
And I, well, I didn't know where to go.
And the first thing I could see was
Everybody's favorite Burger King
So I threw open the door and I hit the floor.
Then suddenly to my surprise
I looked up and I saw her eyes
And I knew it was love at first sight.
And she said

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
Hadji girl I can't understand what you're saying.
And she said
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
Hadji girl I love you anyway.

Then she said that she wanted me to see.
She wanted me to meet her family
But I, well, I couldn't figure out how to say no.
Cause I don't speak Arabic.
So, she took me down an old dirt trail.
And she pulled up to a side shanty
And she threw open the door and I hit the floor.
Cause her brother and her father shouted

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
They pulled out their AKs so I could see
And they said
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah

So I grabbed her little sister and pulled her in front of me.
As the bullets began to fly
The blood sprayed from between her eyes
And then I laughed maniacally
Then I hid behind the TV
And I locked and loaded my M-16
And I blew those little fuckers to eternity.
And I said

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad
Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
They should have known they were fucking with a Marine

No comments: