Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Whole Earth Anthem

Tomorrow, is a big day for the Codpiece. Big speech, you know.

Any bets on how many times the word "sacrifice" will be used? My guess is between three and five -- I'd go for more, but it is a word with three syllables.

What I wouldn't give to be a TV pundit after the show and give my two-bits of comments as I sat there with an airline barf bag in front of me!

What folows now might seem a spring from Iraq and Bush to what follows -- but it's not really.

The land the Codpiece has destroyed was the cradle of Western civilization. In school, we learned to know it as Mesopotamia and the Fertile Crescent -- in Sunday School we heard hints that maybe, just maybe the Garden of Eden had been located somewhere there!

Garden of Eden? Ha! Garden of Death is what it is now -- and for what purpose? So that we can own the resources and suck them dry?

The thing is the Earth and her resources belong to no one -- if we have to say that they "belong" to anyone, it is in common and even then not in the sense of actual "ownership", but of "care taking" and "husbandry".

That is not idealism, it is reality -- and if we don't learn to face reality we will destroy not only the Earth but our humanity.

What follows is a song composed back in the '70s. Sunflower Woman doesn't like it because she sees it as a plagiarism of Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land".

Well, yes, it does draw heavily on Guthrie's text and idea, in fact it can be song to the melody he borrowed from an old Church hymn. However, it is meant to be sung to an original melody with a separate melody for the chorus.

We have one mother, we have one father;
therefore, we all are sisters and brothers.
There is but one earth -- we have no other.
The earth was made for you and me!
The earth was made for you and me!

Chorus:
The earth is your earth. The earth is my earth.
She is the mother who gave us our birth.
From the highest mountain to the deepest ocean:
The earth was made for you and me!
The earth was made for you and me!

Many a day now, I've been counting
all the garbage in her crystal fountains.
My heart is pounding -- my anger's mounting:
The earth was made for you and me!
The earth was made for you and me!

Chorus:

I was walking...and I was dreaming...
I heard the voices of all peoples singing.
And they were singing a song worth singing:
The earth was made for you and me!
The earth was made for you and me!

Chorus:

No comments: