Thursday, June 28, 2007

An Iraqi Wildwood Flower...


I hadn't thought I'd be continuing yesterday's theme about the so-called "criminal gene" and how it can be "triggered" by abuse, violence and other trauma in childhood.

Not only will I be continuing, I won't be able to confine myself to the Third Galaxy. It seems that events there continue, with increasing strength, to spill over into our world -- to tell you the truth, I'm afraid someday there be a Rupture between these parallel galaxies...


I'd been doing some translating for my wife and sat down to with a new guitar I got the other day and started playing Wildwood Flower. After all these years, I still haven't learned the words, so I googled up the Carter Family lyrics and started singing.

It went pretty well, but the second time around, I got so choked up I couldn't get the words out of my mouth, I had to stop playing to stop the hulking.

So, instead I went to see what Tom Tomorrow might have up and I ran into a 13 year old girl with walnut colored eyes and long brown hair -- her name is Marwa and she is an Iraqi Wildwood Flower.

She has been living in an orphanage in Baghdad since her parents were gunned down in front of her eyes but masked gunmen who broke into the house a couple of years ago.

You really should go read Tom Tomorrow's take on this and the entire article in WaPo, but here is a money quote:
With our limited resources, the societal impact is going to be very bad," said Haider Abdul Muhsin, one of the country's few child psychiatrists. "This generation will become a very violent generation, much worse than during Saddam Hussein's regime [emphasis added]
If you got an inkling of what I was trying put across in yesterday's post, you'll break down hulking somewhere along the way just like I did.

"Any one who harms one of these little ones might just as well take a
millstone around his neck and cast themselves into the sea" -- the Holy Idaho

No comments: