Thursday, July 12, 2007

If Only...

I dreamt a dream of sorts one night and knew I should record it.

I was flying through the city streets, quite aware that it was a dream.

I was careful to note the details of the buildings as I flew by. I went a little bit higher so as to not disturb the buildings by flying into them.

I turned and flew into a church. It was an unusual church, when I offered to turn the water into wine they were not at all impressed!

Then I remembed that I had to do this science book report -- some sort of senior thesis, because I had gone back to school. This disturbed me very much because I had not even begun my studies...

Then I got this idea -- I would take all my poems and songs and writings about theology and philosophy and put then all together and give them that for my exam!

But then I woke up and realized that I'm really just a sick, a really sick puppy.

It's hard to say just what it really is
That makes us fret so much about the things we did
so many years ago!
Some carless act or word keeps coming back
and attacks our peace of mind...

Then suddenly -- we find ourselves thinking:
If only, if only if only...
If we had it to do all over again...
we'd have it to do all over again!

You said you would never, ever make her cry,
It's not so nice to break the same heart twice:
but, we're creatures of our own device!
That means we learn from all the things we've done,
from all the times we've hurt someone!

Then suddenly -- you find yourself crying:
If only, if only, if only...
If you had it to do all over again...
you'd have it to do all over again!

Some people say we've all been here before,
They take our memories when we pass through the door...
I don't know if that's true or not!
But I'm ready, if I can, to take another shot
and maybe prove that I've learned a lot...

Then suddenly -- I find myself in the same old jam:
If only, if only if only...
If I had it to do all over again...
I'd have it to do all over again!

No comments: