Tuesday, September 16, 2008

From Tic-Tac-Toe to Chess

When I sit on the crapper I have what is maybe an odd habit -- I solve chess puzzles on my cell phone, "Find check for White in two moves" is what I am doing now...

Today, while wiping my ass I suddenly thought of a chess puzzle with all the pieces in their starting position -- "Find check for White in x moves..."

Is that possible? Is there one or more opening moves where White can always beat Black? Is there a "solution" to chess?

Or, is chess like tic-tac-toe? In tic-tac-toe, once both players understand the game, neither can win. Or, is there in chess at least one opening move that will always win?

Is it possible to prove it one way or the other?

That's kind of a silly thing to think of I suppose, with all the problems, in fact challenges to our very existence we face on this little blue puff ball hanging in space.

I suspect that, although our leaders think they are playing a Great Game like chess for the world's resources, our situation is actually like tic-tac-toe, that is none of the players can win this fighting over a hill of beans in which we are engaged.

In fact, if we don't stop these silly games, all players will lose.

No comments: